A SHIRLEY teenager has been jailed for 15 years for stabbing a man - who ended up losing all his limbs - in a row over a mobile phone. Dominic Brookes, 19, of Bramble Close, was sentenced today along with three other men for the attack in Worthing on the then 25-year-old Ernest Moyo. Mr Moyo was attacked as he left a party on August 11, 2012, by Brookes, Trey Johnson, 18, of Victoria Road in Worthing, Patrick Brookes, 27, of Clifton Road, Worthing, and Jeremiah Reynolds, 26, of Ascham End, north London. Mr Moyo, known as Joe, had been in an altercation with another group earlier in the night but left before returning with friends. A fight ensued with the four convicted men and Mr Moyo was stabbed in the leg and stomach before he was left in the road. Three stab wounds, one to his thigh and two to his abdomen, left Mr Moyo fighting for his life when infection spread. Doctors took the decision to amputate all of his limbs after his vital organs were put in danger. Mr Moyo's family said he had such little recollection of the incident they had initially told him he had been in a car crash. Dominic Brookes was arrested nine days later along with Johnson and Reynolds and were all charged with grievous bodily harm with intent on August 22, 2012. Patrick Brookes was arrested on the night of the incident and charged with the same offence the following day. All pleaded not guilty, claiming they were not involved in the stabbing. Patrick Brookes and Reynolds were found guilty on March 11 this year after a three week retrial at Hove Crown Court and jailed for 16 years and 15 years respectively. Shirley student Dominic Brookes and Johnson were found guilty at Hove Crown Court last August and both sentenced to 15 years today. They were told they would begin their sentences in a Young Offenders' Institute. Mr Moyo's fiancé Amy said in a statement released by Sussex Police after the sentencing: "For two to three months every day both our families visited him hoping and praying, before finally he was taken off the life support. "Joe and myself will have to deal with his injuries every day for the rest of our lives as we make a future together, making our lives totally different from what they would have been. "We would all like to thank all the nurses, doctors and surgeons at the hospitals for all their care and support that they gave to Joe. "We are relieved that four people have now been held accountable for their actions and will now face many years in prison." Detective Constable Laura Sinden, of Sussex Police, said: "I have been with Joe and his family throughout the investigation and the trial and am pleased for them that these four people have been brought to justice. "Each of the men have received significant sentences for their involvement in what happened that night. "The attack happened after a row about a mobile phone and escalated into a young man almost losing his life. "The injuries Joe sustained from the stab wounds have meant he had to have his limbs amputated and therefore the consequences of that night will be with him for the rest of his life. "This was a vicious attack that left Joe fighting for his life in the middle of the road. We have worked hard, and with the support of Joe's family, to bring these men to justice."
More Pages to Explore .....