Quantcast
Channel: Croydon Advertiser Latest Stories Feed
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 5354

Mother of Kenley woman who died after taking Ecstasy warns others of danger

0
0

THE mother of a young woman who died after taking Ecstasy while on holiday in Ibiza has warned others about the dangers of the drug.

Debbie Nieman made the comments days after an inquest heard how her 19-year-old daughter died while on holiday on the Spanish island in July 2011.

The mother echoed reports heard in the inquest that Jodie Nieman, of Waterbourne Way in Kenley, was not into drugs, telling the Advertiser: "All I can say is to warn people if their kids are going out there, it is so very easy to get something passed on to you like that and you just do not know what is in them.

"It is very sad because children want to go there for the music and the clubs but you have just got to be so careful – drink out of a bottle, not a glass, never leave your drink down, do not take anything from anybody."

She added that she had been offered drugs such as Ecstasy and cannabis several times when visiting the island to retrace Jodie's last steps, adding "You have to be so careful because it is offered to you so blatantly."

Croydon Coroners' Court heard last Thursday how Jodie, a talented nail technician, had collapsed and died after taking the drug in Space nightclub on the third night of her girls' holiday. Friends with her said they did not know she had taken the drug until she told them, but said they were regularly offered drugs during that and the previous night.

Demi Hastain said: "We were offered drugs on several occasions either by foreigners or English people and always by men. I just ignored them."

They said Jodie became overheated and started hallucinating before being helped into the club's medical room, where her condition deteriorated.

An ambulance was called at around 4.30am, but Jodie died before reaching hospital.

Friend Jessica Phelps said Jodie had not eaten much that day, adding: "She was not in any sense a druggie. I would describe her as a happy and generally responsible friend."

Spanish authorities told the inquest through written evidence that "several" others at Space nighctlub that night had been taken to hospital due to drug intoxication.

Jodie, who worked at Nails To Be Seen in Limpsfield. was the only one who died.

The court heard that cause of death was acute pulmonary edema caused by MDMA intoxication.

Croydon Coroner Dr Roy Palmer returned a verdict of non-dependent drug abuse.

Ms Nieman added the family was disappointed with the ruling, which they did not feel reflected Jodie.

She said: "I think it portrays Jodie in a way that she really was not.

"She was just a really lovely girl and so beautiful and she had so much to live for.

"She was so loved by everyone – it was just unbelievable.

"I would never let one of my kids go there again."

Mother of Kenley woman who died after taking Ecstasy warns others of danger


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 5354

Latest Images

Trending Articles





Latest Images