TROUBLE during Crystal Palace's derby victory over Charlton led to ten arrests and culminated in away fans damaging cars outside Selhurst Park.
Charlton supporters ripped-up seating and lit flares during the match at Selhurst Park on Saturday. After the final whistle police held Addicks' fans in Park Road for several minutes in order to ensure "public safety".
However, vehicles and property were damaged as officers escorted about 3,000 away fans along Sangley Road towards Norwood Junction.
Chief Superintendent Adrian Roberts, who led the operation, described their actions as "mindless destruction".
Two Charlton fans, one a 16-year-old boy, have been charged with setting off a flare during the game.
Police also arrested four men on suspicion of affray, one for obstructing a police officer and another for a public order offence.
Another man was charged, and two others cautioned, for possession of Class A drugs.
Chief Supt Roberts said: "It was a challenging game to police, made so by a very small minority of people intent on causing problems and several arrests were made throughout the day. However, working with the club's security we were able to keep fans safe."
The trouble followed criticism levelled at the police by a supporters' group following the arrests of several fans relating to an incident at the Brighton game in December.
A spokesman for Holmesdale Fanatics said two men were "dragged from their beds" in early morning raids and accused of assaulting a steward.
"This is a non incident being dressed up to suit an agenda and begs the question again, why are Palace fans still being treated with such contempt by police?" the statement read.
The Met confirmed that two men, aged 24 and 28, had been arrested in Croydon on January 24 under suspicion of common assault during what they described as a "pre-planned operation". It declined to comment on the group's criticisms.