FIREFIGHTERS say a woman in her 50s escaped possible serious injury after a smoke alarm warned her of a fire in her flat in Sylvan Road, Upper Norwood this afternoon (Saturday). Norbury fire crew manager, Robert Cummins, said the fire had broken out in a boiler in a cupboard at the flat at around 2.40pm. He said: "Fortunately, the smoke alarm went off. The woman was downstairs at the time and if she had not had an alarm fitted in the flat she would never have known what was happening. "She got out of the flat and a neighbour called for us." "This shows the importance of everyone having smoke alarms fitted in their homes." Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat to deal with the fire and crews finally left the scene around two hours later. The flat suffered extensive smoke damage. Mr Cummins reminded residents that the London Fire Brigade offers free fire safety checks and anyone wanting one should call 08000 284428.
More Pages to Explore .....