A NAIL technician died after taking ecstasy in a nightclub on the third night of her holiday in Ibiza, an inquest has heard. Jodie Nieman, of Waterbourne Way in Kenley, collapsed after taking the two of the pills in Space nightclub, and was pronounced dead before reaching hospital. In written evidence to the inquest, her friends said they had gone out together on the night of July 12 2011, arriving at Space after midnight. They added they did not know Jodie, 20, had taken drugs until she told them so, and none of the others had. Friend Jessica Phelps recalled: "Jodie said she had taken two pills. Over the next half hour I could see that Jodie was becoming very hot. "She clearly started hallucinating as I could see she was taking things from her hair or her belly button but they were not there." She added that friends had tried to persuade Jodie to leave but she was reluctant to, before she was helped into the club's medical room by a stranger. Her condition deteriorated, and an ambulance was called. The inquest heard how doctors later found two ecstasy pills - salmon-coloured with a five-point star - in Jodie's handbag. A post-mortem found the she died from acute pulmonary edema caused by intoxication with MDMA. Friend Jessica Phelps added that Jodie enjoyed life and 'was not in any sense a druggie'. She added: "I would describe her as a happy and generally responsible friend." Other clubbers had were also taken ill after reportedly taking ecstasy at the club that night, Spanish authorities told the inquest. Jodie, who worked at Nails To Be Seen in Warlingham and LA Fitness in Croydon, was the only one who died. Croydon Coroner Dy Roy Palmer recorded a verdict of non-dependent abuse of drugs. Her family were at the inquest but declined to comment immediately.
More Pages to Explore .....